Re: [LUG] Modem/Router

On 04/08/17 15:27, M. J. Everitt wrote:
On 04/08/17 08:17, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi

Having some issues with my modem and I think it needs replacing. Any recommendations please?

Thanks

Rich

--

Richard Brown
07747 343637

A few 'textbook' questions:-
- Are you on Cable/ADSL/Fibre/dial-up ?
- Do you need/want a router, to connect more than one computer to your internet connection ?
- Would you rather use a USB or Ethernet connection ?
Then:-
- Would you like Wireless, if you choose to have a router?!

That aside, fwiw, I was provided with a BT modem for Fibre broadband (FTTC) when I joined Plusnet a while back. They provided their own chinese router, which I have since replaced with a cheap (~Â30) Tp-Link unit, which, from all my accounts, along with el cheapo Edimax, Does what it says on the Tin. I tend to want a reasonable Bang for my Buck, along with such [working] features as port forwarding to host services on my local connection, but I'm not sure about the 'enterprise' cost/standard equipment that is many times the cost.

TL;DR - do a bit of homework, read a few reviews, set yourself a budget, and look for special offers! Good manufacturers tend to be the well-known brands - Linksys, Netgear, Belkin are reasonably middle-of-the-road, Edimax & Tp-Link are hot on their tails, but cheaper, but often have surprising capabilities for the price. If you have the budget, there are the likes of Buffalo, etc .. but if you're not likely to use the 'extra' features, its not worth paying the premium!

Hope this helps, and at least gives a bit of background if all else is bewildering!!
Best regards,

Michael.

If it's a cable connection I have an Asus RT-AC68U router which performs very well.

http://www.ebuyer.com/581503-asus-rt-ac68u-wireless-ac1900-dual-band-usb3-0-gigabit-router-rt-ac68u

Kind regards,

Julian