Re: [LUG] Update query - Mint 18.2

On 10/07/17 18:27, mr meowski wrote:
On 10/07/17 17:27, Edward Lister via list wrote:

On 10 July 2017 15:23:08 BST, mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
The rule of thumb, particularly for non-experts,
is ALWAYS INSTALL ALL UPDATES ALL OF THE TIME. No exceptions!
Hi,

New subscriber here. I just wanted remark that your comment has delivered peace of
mind to me because today I installed Mint 18.2 for a client (due to him misplacing
his Windows product key) and I selected the aforementioned update policy despite it
being labelled for experienced users only.

If a future update throws a config conflict up I will tackle it as and when, but I
don't have any experience with Mint personally so I wasn't sure at the time whether
I had made the right choice. It's good to know that my instincts served me well!

Cheers,

Edward

Hi Edward, glad to hear it. On systems which aren't mission critical
production units - and which are hopefully being coddled by experts with
very specific requirements and the skills to match anyway - the rule of
thumb is normally patch patch and patch again unless you have the
knowledge to genuinely know better. If in doubt, backup then upgrade
everything. I'm no exception!

Mint is slightly deranged in this regard (in my opinion) - the default
upgrade policy for "novice users" (their term) in 18.2 is *still* to
"Show security and kernel updates so I can review them and apply them
with caution"... Two parts of that are simply objectively mutually
incompatible: "novice users" and "review and apply". What were they
thinking?

By the way, it's trivial to recover the installation key from Windows if
you come across that issue again. There are many methods but the
simplest is probably this well-known freebie tool:

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Cheers
I've now updated the kernel twice - first I loaded a 4.8 version which worked OK. Then I discovered that Mint Update Manager lists /all/ currently available kernels but doesn't necessarily offer the most recent in the main dialogue box.

Click View -> Linux Kernels - then Continue past the warning and there is a list of all currently released kernels showing which are installed and the one currently running. You can select any one and choose to install it. I bit the bullet and chose the latest:

julian@Cerce ~ $ uname -r
4.10.0-26-generic

Kind regards,

Julian