Re: [LUG] nhs cyber attack

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 08:41:10PM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
> i am sure the recent MS update  was some sort of emergency patch,   to
> fix a problem that would allow execution of code without e-mails being
> opened,  which reading other parts of this thread is sort of what may
> have happened.
>
> I am not fully sure how updates / patches are implement i am guessing
> people test things first,  so adding delays esp across a huge
> organization like the NHS.

This was patched 59 days ago:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx
It wasn't an emergency patch, just one of their regular patches rolled
out on the second Tuesday of the month. While noting that it is very
easy to criticise organisations from the sidelines, especially if they
are under budget constraints, they should have a system in place that
rolls out patches much faster than this.

> Quite how the government respond is if we can find where this originated
> from,  then it is a case of how we respond.

While taking law enforcement action does (and should) happen, this
probably isn't anyone's major concern. From a LE point of view, this is
indeed pretty basic.

Martijn.