Re: [LUG] nhs cyber attack

On 12/05/17 18:11, Roland Tarver via list wrote:

> On 12/05/17 17:41, daniel Phillips wrote:
>> Will this malware remove all patient details and personal information?
>> Quite a worrying scenario!!  I assume information is backed up...should
>> have switched to Linux, I feel along time ago.
>

> I did notice on the bbc site that all the affected computers all ran
> some version of Windows. Although if linux was a larger target I guess
> there would be more folk writing ransonware for it.
>
> I certainly agree, it is very worrying. I wonder how the government
> will respond?
>
> cheers
> roly :-)

i am sure the recent MS update  was some sort of emergency patch,   to
fix a problem that would allow execution of code without e-mails being
opened,  which reading other parts of this thread is sort of what may
have happened.

I am not fully sure how updates / patches are implement i am guessing
people test things first,  so adding delays esp across a huge
organization like the NHS.

Quite how the government respond is if we can find where this originated
from,  then it is a case of how we respond.

Paul