Re: [LUG] Changing User ID.

On 07/05/17 19:28, mr meowski wrote:
On 07/05/17 11:44, Julian Hall wrote:
I've been looking at the different NFS mount options, and wondered if
this would work:

192.168.1.3:/volume1/Hera /media/julian/HERA nfs
rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=70,intr

I sort of understand what those options do, and the timeo one is
interesting as I've noticed the Wired Network connection only seems
available a second or so after the desktop appears, so if I tell it to
wait a bit before failing that should stop system.d failing?

This is the original line:

192.168.1.3:/volume1/Hera /media/julian/HERA nfs
noauto,x-systemd.automount,nouser,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,atime,rw,dev,exec,suid
0

In short the behaviour I would like is what it used to before I
upgraded; that is boot the system and the NAS mounts automatically so I
can use it just as any other local drive.

Both the above lines are commented out in the fstab btw.
First, how is your network configured on Circe? Systemd, NetworkManager,
manually...
The only configuration I have done is to setup the network name, give all wired devices fixed IPs, and then added the NAS manually into the fstab. That's pretty much it.
  I suspect that your network connection isn't being activated
by the system during early boot: it's probably only being activated as
part of your user profile when you actually login. This would explain
why the system was timing out waiting to mount a NFS share if the
network wasn't up by that point.
The router is always on; it's on a multi socket under the desk which also has the PC on it. As I don't want to cut power to the PC and gradually drain the BIOS battery I just leave the multiplug powered. The network is always up then unless I do a soft reboot, or cold boot everything. It may be that with using an SSD now the system is starting faster than the NAS, but I do try to compensate by starting the NAS ten seconds or so before booting the PC.
Most likely some system files were changed by a recent Mint upgrade and
something, probably a systemd unit file dependency, has started calling
the startup sequence differently which is why the issue has only just
started manifesting.

That sounds right; Mint 18 is the first version to use system.d, which is the only reason I've had to change the fstab entry for the NAS.

Kind regards,

Julian