Re: [LUG] Mini desktop computers

On 20 April 2017 at 18:17, mr meowski via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Think about the size of a modern top-end smartphone - and then subtract
the bits you need to make just a computer. Strip off the keypad,
antennae, battery, speakers and so on. You'll be left with an eight core
64 bit CPU and ~8Gb RAM plus a GPU, ~128Gb solid state storage and the
dedicated circuitry to drive USB peripherals and wifi, bluetooth, GPS
and telephony signals all on a SoC way smaller than a Raspberry Pi.
Shrinkwrap it in a tiny little case with a couple of micro slots for the
same power and peripheral ports as your PC and you could fit a stack of
four of them inside a cigarette packet.

Like yourself, I've been in the IT world (although more marginal these days) for a very long time.

I own a mid spec smartphone (Moto G4) and despite all my experience, when I actually stop to think exactly what I'm holding in my hand and what it's capable of, I am still left boggled.Â

We hold miracles in our hands every day and take them for granted. It's amazing, it really is.

(Save this post so we can look back in another ten years and laugh at my quaint view of how great a smartphone is!)