Re: [LUG] DVB-S via old Sky Disk [Linux + tvheadend]

Yes, myth is old and smelly, but I'm used to it and it would be more effort to move. With hardly any viewing worthwhile on normal TV, I'm only really using it for very little. If it breaks i wont bother fixing.

Mpgs, that's what freesat is sent as, and i have no need of post processing. I just export the directory using samba and watch stuff via laptop and desktop. Same directory also houses programs obtained by , cough, other means. Skipping adverts is easy enough by seeking forwards.

Myth Devs poo pooed my request to use human friendly names for the files created, so i wrote a short perl script to look for the TV name linked to the file in myth's database and renamed it. That runs every five mins.Â

On 11 Apr 2017 11:21 pm, "mr meowski via list" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/04/17 11:35, Simon Avery via list wrote:
> Hi Mr M
>
> I've run two tuners on Freesat since it started, and Freeview before
> that (Unfortunately, the digital switchover completely destroyed
> freeview signal in my area, so freesat was the only non-commercial
> option!)Â Luckily I had an old 80cm dish knocking around from earlier
> geeky fiddles to get european TV and improve my German (which works
> fine, but I got bored once it was working and never did learn the language)
>
> Drivers are a pain for my card, needing a manual rebuild for each
> kernel, and the software is mythtv and mythweb. The latter for
> everything but configuring so it's a remote server.
>
> Myth is of the old school - somewhat unfriendly devs, cliquey support,
> arcane setups and not user friendly to configure. But it's the best I've
> found which records as straight MPGs (and I use a script to rename them
> to human-readable, since I playback from the filesystem, rather than by
> myth itself)
>
> The best guide I've found for freesat and myth is here, which has the
> required frequencies; http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_freesat.php
>
> There are windows alternatives too, of course - some quite good, if you
> can avoid the not-good and adware-riddled ones, or pay a lot. I've not
> kept pace with those so can't say what's good.
>
> On 10 April 2017 at 00:50, Steven CÃtà via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>Â Â Â Â Â>Does anyone know for sure if an old Sky dish (as in, Sky ceased
>Â Â Â Â Â>provisioning the paid service X years ago but left all the kit in place)
>Â Â Â Â Â>can provide a working output that can be fed into a Linux machine?
>

>Â Â ÂI've run a MythTV box off an old Sky installation for years. So
>Â Â Âyeah, it definitely should work without modification. Basically,
>Â Â ÂFreesat is just the branding for a tuner that pulls in all the
>Â Â Âunencrypted channels on the Sky satellites and bundles them up with
>Â Â Âa digital tv guide (that's not strictly true, but it's close enough
>Â Â Âfor this conversation).
>
>Â Â ÂIf you have a scan running and it's reporting back anything
>Â Â Âpositive, then the frequencies it's reporting should work. Having
>Â Â Âsaid that, even if you specifically only ask for unencrypted tv
>Â Â Âchannels, some cruft usually gets through, so restrict testing to
>Â Â Âchannels that you know exist.

Thanks for the replies - I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with
the dish setup here then, which is unsurprisingly where most of my
testing has been happening for convenience reasons. I'll try what I
believe *should* be a fully working DVB-S equipped RPi at a couple of
other places where I suspect it'll work. One friend currently has a
crappy old FreeSat STB still in service so that would be the obvious
candidate to try as I can be 100% sure they at least have a functional
feed to test with.

I was a long time mythtv guy as well and know the parker1 site well but
over the years it's become increasingly difficult to wrestle into
submission so I've been looking for a long time for something Linux
based (no nasty proprietary Windows crapware or Media Centers) that I
could use to replace it Myth as a backend, abstracting all the front end
logic away and leaving something preferably newer, more advanced and a
bit more future proofed. Ideally something that would also scale down to
being deployed on a RPi3, even one already busy doing other things -
which is how I got to tvheadend.

Why do you insist on mpgs by the way? I'm guessing you need that for
commercial detection/skipping plugins? tvheadend will do that as well
(either/and record to mpg/cut ads). If you've got a spare RPi or Linux
VM and a USB tuner card or two I highly recommend checking it out!

Cheers