Re: [LUG] Changing User ID.

On 10/04/17 16:45, Julian Hall via list wrote:
On 10/04/17 15:32, mr meowski wrote:
On 10/04/17 14:20, Julian Hall via list wrote:
Thanks Michael, unfortunately it didn't work as the laptop already has
the same UID.

Cerce ~ # id julian
uid=1000(julian) gid=1000(julian)
groups=1000(julian),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),113(lpadmin),130(sambashare)

The output is the same on both machines. I'm at a loss now to understand
why it thinks they are different users.
It would help to have the result of "ls -alh /path/to/problem/files" but
the short answer is to do:

chown -R $USER:$USER /path/to/problem/files

You might have fixed up your userid on the laptop to match now but the
files presumably have inherited some 'dodgy' permission bits, especially
if network storage was involved at some point (look out for the dreaded
'nfsuser' permissions for example), as was mentioned elsewhere.

You do have actually have +w on the files that are opening readonly right?

Cheers
Hi,

You've probably seen my reply to Peter by now, but here's the answer to your questions;
Sorry, I hadn't realised Thunderbird pulled its trick of replying from my default address not the LUG registered one. Reply to Peter re-sent.

Julian