[LUG] Changing User ID.

Hi All,

Last weekend the PSU on my main PC died completely so I spent all last week using my laptop. Not a major problem, except I needed to update a couple files which raised the issue of permissions. A spreadsheet for example would only open Read Only or Copy. I would like to use the same UID on both systems as I am the only person who uses them. I've read up on changing the UID but you cannot be logged in as the user you are updating, which is a problem as both systems only have one user - identical login details. Can I log into the laptop as root to change the UID on it? Once I know what the desktop uses.

Kind regards,

Julian