Re: [LUG] Ad blockers

Scope for a system which collects the adverts and follows some of the advert links, with a random timing, while only showing in the browser the elements of interest.

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 14:11 Neil via list, <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 27/03/17 13:12, Brad Rogers via list wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 12:50:04 +0100
> Neil via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Neil,
>
>> I am wondering, how can anyone be so accurate? 42 percent?? That seems
>> a bit too exact to me. Since I hate all ads I just move on elsewhere. I
>> am wondering, however, how do sites lose money due to an ad blocker? If
>
> They know because, since they get paid on every ad placed, that data has
> to be logged for accounting purposes. An ad blocker can be detected and
> that too can be logged. Compare blocked ads with total hits and you've
> got your percentage income loss. Round to nearest whole number.....

Well, I have learnt something today, thanks. Earlier I opened up the
website in question which, after a few seconds, tells me I must switch
off my blocker to view the site. However, there are several headings
present, such as Features, Support, Feedback etc. If I quickly click on
one I get moved to that part of the site and I can then go around all
the site, except the home page, and view whatever I want. It is only on
the home page that I am blocked (pun intended). So really they are
wasting their time.

I will try that trick with any other sites that try to get me to switch
of the blocker.

Thanks,

Neil