[LUG] Ad blockers

Sometimes when I log on to a web site I am told that I must switch off my ad blocker. The reasons vary, but today I came across one with the following message

we're currently losing 42% of our income due to Ad Blockers

and a request to turn it off.

I am wondering, how can anyone be so accurate? 42 percent?? That seems a bit too exact to me. Since I hate all ads I just move on elsewhere. I am wondering, however, how do sites lose money due to an ad blocker? If I turn it off I will still ignore any ads, so how does it all work? Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks,

Neil