Re: [LUG] Computers - leave on or turn off

On 21/03/17 15:17, M. J. Everitt via list wrote:
> On 21/03/17 15:11, Richard Brown via list wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> I help manage a network of 6 computers, all running Win 7. The boss
>> has asked me to say whether I think it is better to leave the computer
>> on at night or turn off. He is trying to weigh up the eco costs with
>> bringing electric as compared to the costs on the computer and turning
>> ti off/on etc.
>>
>> Any thoughts please?
>> --
>> Kind Regards
>>
>> Richard Brown
>> 07747 343637
>> http://gucu.org.uk/
>> http://littlebigfoot.org.uk/
>>

> I think its reasonably fair to say, the high-stress periods on most of
> the components are at switch-on and power-off, particularly if there are
> intensive periods of activity for updates, etc. What the long-term
> effects of these are, I couldn't put a finger on, and I suspect there
> are others on the list with more direct experience of this. However, if
> your computers are getting a hammering on normal use (which most
> web/programming/email/office duties really are quite light) this would
> probably make no difference to the repeated power-cycling.
>
> Most modern power supplies, and processors are much more power-efficient
> than their predecessors, so you might not see such a big change in
> energy consumption as you might think (again, depending on your
> workstation usage).
>
> So basically, quite a few variables, and the usual 'your mileage may
> vary' ... but a good question/discussion nonetheless ! :]
>
> Regards,
> Michael.

If they are left on could they not run updates etc during office closing
hours,  perhaps also run other checks too,  defrag / scan disk (if still
applicable) virus checks, etc.

perhaps you could get the computer to turn off once those jobs are
completed.

Paul

--
http://www.zleap.net