Re: [LUG] Linux Training

On 13/02/2017 21:10, mr meowski via list wrote:
> On 13/02/17 20:09, Paul Sutton via list wrote:
>
>>> I would go with a Virtualbox VM .. I have yet to do it fully myself, but
>>> its on the top of the to-do list ...
>>>
>> I have tried virtual box and failed,  there is a young lad who comes to
>> the tech jam who is trying to run ubuntu in virtual box and finding all
>> sorts of problems.
>>
>> As Linux is my main system I am using Kvm (virtual machine manager  or
>> something ) which is a front end to Qemu I think,  that works really well.
>>
>> Virtual box needs to work out of the box, if you, the expert in their
>> eyes, fails or hits barriers it will just look bad.
>>
>> Given how cheap a Raspberry Pi 3 is,  perhaps one solution would be to
>> buy one,  the default OS is raspbian and it comes with Libreoffice etc,
>> maybe let them have a go.  the command line can come later, when there
>> is a need for it.
>>

>> Paul
>
> I've done a lot of OS to OS migrations for people over the years, both
> to (hooray) and from (boo) Linux but generally speaking, it's always a
> case of using the right tool for the right job and beyond the initial
> expert advice, I have to respect the client's choice. I've had 'problem'
> customers before flip-flop between all three of the main choices
> (Lin/Win/Mac) whilst trying to find the right scratch for their
> particular itch which whilst being frustrating for me, has taught me one
> major truth: change always freaks people out a little bit unless they're
> genuine techies who like challenges and playing with new stuff. Needless
> to say, this doesn't describe a lot of typical switchers...
>
> Largely it's the shock of an unfamiliar environment that does them in,
> regardless of whether you're showing an experienced Microsoft veteran
> their first Linux desktop or vice versa. And when things go wrong, which
> they will, despite the fact that they probably weren't ever able to fix
> things themselves in their primary environment they will be doubly
> frustrated that they can't now magically fix things in the new one which
> of course doesn't make any sense - it's almost as if they're
> concentrating on the wrong thing, hoping somehow that the magic bullet
> of changing the toolset will miraculously fix the underlying issue
> instead of concentrating on actually fixing the underlying issue.
>
> So as the technical help, it's only prudent to test out the waters with
> a failsafe - Eion's step by step softly softly approach is a great one,
> but requires a lot of time, hand holding and patience: it also won't
> scale beyond a couple of people well (I've migrated entire businesses in
> one go before which requires a very different approach). Quite frankly
> this means if they only have one major computing device then it's either
> dual-booting, which is cumbersome and awkward, virtualization, or they
> need a secondary device to test the Linux waters in complete safety. A
> Raspberry Pi works beautifully for testing out low impact desktop-type
> [...]

Virtual Box.
I find that a usual problem is getting them able to 'connect WiFi' Once
they go home from tutor sessions.
While Linux in VB is easy for ethernet in, some distros needs careful
handling to set up WiFi.
 I sometimes have to go to their home to set up Wifi.
Then take a snapshot if possible

I like your suggested team Viewer approach but find some folk (elderly)
have great difficulty in allowing it, while having no problem with me
'fiddling' with their machine at tutor session. I think it is to do with
'privacy of home' thinking

--
regards
Eion MacDonald