Re: [LUG] signal messaging app

> On 5 Feb 2017, at 18:35, Adrian Midgley via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Potentially interesting.
> I think I'd like to see an asymmetric key/PGP thing, or even a OTP-based system.

Signal Protocol goes way beyond PGPs default security offering with Forward Secrecy
and much more.

One of those cases where the crypto is way stronger than the environment in which it
exists. Tramps living on park benches exchanging messages by armoured cars is the
favoured analogy I believe.

Although maybe I'd call IPhone's a cheap rented flat, the landlord (Apple) could
still pop in, and the walls are made of plasterboard (aka Unix).

Pragmatically, if you want this sort of level of protection and decent network
effect use WhatsApp, and tweak the settings.