Re: [LUG] External hard drive

On Friday, 21 October 2016, 17:28, Lists <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, of course they are connected to the internet. In this case, I am
not thinking about upgrading. I am thinking about having a Linux OS
installed on the external drive, which I could attach to any modern
computer and then log in to the OS installed on that drive. Just to see
if I can and if it would work.

There is a slight flaw in your plan.  A "Live CD/ISO" which you currently use loads the correct drivers etc each time you boot up.  If you install onto an external drive, it will only install and then load the drivers for that computer so you probably won't have much success moving it to different computers.

Steve.