Re: [LUG] Ad blockers

On 16/09/16 14:05, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 13:54:57 +0100
Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Julian,

If it wasn't active until now, to all intents and purposes that is the
same as it not being a legal requirement, which was my point.

To cover themselves, the tv companies would need to put systems in place
to ensure they were complying with the forthcoming legislation.  The
alternative would be to cancel *every* subscription to their services,
forcing people to reapply.  There would have been widespread annoyance,
to say nothing of possible chaos.

This seems to have gone off topic, although it is interesting. My original point was my annoyance at the way it seems that some web sites are now trying to force me to accept their pop up adverts in order to be able to look at their site. My feeling is that I should be able to avoid adverts if I wish. It should be my right, not a privilege.

As for commercial TV, if I am watching it live I mute the sound during adverts. If I feel that I don't want the program to be broken up in any way, eg a thriller, I record it. Then, when I watch the recording, I can jump past the ads.

Any sites that try to force me to allow their ads on to my computer will never be looked at again.

Neil