Re: [LUG] Ad blockers

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 08:45:35AM +0100, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Had anyone else come across this? Any comments would be welcome.

It is increasingly common and there is a cat-and-mouse game going on
between advertisers and adblock-developers. I certainly understand why
sites would want to force people to view the ads.

I do not block ads myself but I block both trackers and have set Flash
as click-to-play by default. This, in practice, stops most ads.

Blocking Flash by default is because Flash has lots of security issues,
though on Linux the risk is -touch wood!- pretty theoretical. To block
trackers, I use the EFF's Privacy Badget plugin, which can be fine tuned
in a number of ways. For some reason, while it blocks almost all ads in
practice, it does seem to do so in a way that doesn't stop sites (like
Wired and Forbes) from showing me their content.

Martijn.