Re: [LUG] Ad blockers

On 15/09/16 08:45, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I hate adverts. Let me be more precise, I don't mind them in newspapers and magazines, I can easily turn the page. I do hate adverts in commercial TV, which is off topic, and most of all I hate the pop up sort that can appear while browsing the internet.

So I use ad blocking programs, ad block plus in Firefox, and uBlock origin in Palemoon. Fine. However I have noticed recently that some websites are asking me to please stop blocking their ads because that is how they make their money. That is not a problem, I can comply or I can ignore it. Up to me.

Even more recently I have noticed a worrying new trend. Some sites seem to be using a new way to try to get you to turn the blocker off. I was surprised the first time to realise that only half of their first page was readable. The lower half of the page was greyed out and the text was encrypted. Then I saw that a message window had appeared. It said that I appeared to be using an ad blocker and if I wanted to be able to read the entire web site I had two choices. Turn the blocker off or white list their site. Otherwise, tough luck. Go away. They even offered to help me out if I was not sure how to do this.

To me this is a worrying trend. If this proves successful, will other sites start doing the same? The advertisers hate our blocking programs, of course, and they have not been successful in getting them banned. So they seem to have come up with this new idea.

Had anyone else come across this? Any comments would be welcome.

Regards,

Neil

My personal response is to just ignore the site and try and find the info elsewhere. I have a feeling these sites will go the way some scientific journals are - their content providers are getting no money so moving their contributions to free sites.

The other alternative is an add-hider - this just allows the adds to download but prevents them being visible. On my low-bandwidth connection this is not an option but will go someway to make life liveable.

Tom te tom te tom