Re: [LUG] off topic :but what Linux distro could read and write to a mac computer's external back up?

On 11/09/2016 17:54, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> < stuff>
>
> Yours,
>
> Gordon
> An Artisan Baker

Haha, yikes - I was expecting a little flak for this and I knew I'd get
the sharpest answer from you! Fair enough :]

 > the usual bleats, whinges and criticisms.

Hmm, seems a little harsh specifically as I went out of my way to state
explicitly that I was only criticizing your specific non-answer and in
no way criticizing you personally. Was it too much to expect the same
courtesy? Perhaps you'd like to point out in what way I was actually
wrong? I'm waiting.

 > Get real, will you? This is an ordinary person who dabbles in a bit
of Linux, etc.

Guess you're talking about Eion here, although I'm not exactly sure as
to the relevance of this.

 > My wife has iphone, watch, mac book pro, backups and insurance. If
she loses a physical device it's replaced within 24 hours and backups
are restored. Job done and its not expensive.

Umm, congratulations I guess? I currently deal with a hundred or so
Apple ecosystem devices across my various clients and have dealt with
thousands over the years. I'm excruciatingly familiar with Applecare,
insurance and replacing said devices and restoring backups to them.
Agreed, it is *usually* quite painless and *if* everything goes smoothly
then great, another success story. It doesn't always work out that way
though and you're still ignoring the plainly stated fact that she is a
poor student, and presumably has a very different idea of what
constitutes affordable. Coughing up for Applecare+ on an ageing and
beaten up hand-me-down (if that's what it is: could be a spanking brand
new fully insured/Apple-cared present from her father for all we know)
Mac can be a false economy. Applecare additionally doesn't cover loss or
theft so she's looking at potentially coughing up for both insurance and
the Apple plan. More money, for a broke student. Guess how I know you
didn't think through your flippant answer and are now scrambling to
cover it?

 > My answer: None.

Which with provisos, is 100% false as I laid out in depth. There are
ways for Linux to handle even full HFS+ R/W even if they're not
particularly easy. Let's not forget, that is what Eion was *actually*
asking for information on, not whether or not to insure it or make
backups. He's not an idiot, he knows the value of both full well himself
and presumably between the student and himself they will make their own
informed value/benefit decision on whether that's suitable for their
case. In short, replying "insure it and back it up" was both offtopic
and unhelpful considering how profoundly obvious it is, no matter how
untechnical the user. Insure and backup a valuable computer? Why thank
you Gordon, we'd never have thought of that on our own!

 > My reasoning; it's not worth it.

Value judgement: to each their own. Eion and the student will obviously
make their own decision here.

 > That's because it is easy. It's far easier to replace hardware like
for like and restore than to spend hours/days/weeks farting about with
old PCs running VM/hackintosh/whatever to try to emulate a nice shiny
MBP or read all that Mac data. Do you really think a young person at uni
really wants that these days?

Look, you're still wilfully missing the point here - Eion would
obviously be handling the IT setup, not her, and he explicitly stated it
would be for an emergency interim measure *just in case* of theft or
loss. I quote: "I would like her to have a 'secondary computer' at her
lodgings just to read her backup USB external hard disc in case her
Mac-book air is stolen".  Nobody is excluding the obvious fact that the
Macbook would have to be replaced, and probably very rapidly, in such an
event or that it would indeed be pretty easy to do so and restore it
fully, but Eion is specifically looking at providing a temporary
fallback system with the modest and free/spare hardware and software he
has to hand whilst waiting for this to take place. I.e., a creaky Core2
laptop + Linux which is exactly the question he asked and you failed to
address completely. Don't just say "insure and back it up", he knows
that! He even stated he's backing up already to enable the restore to a
"backup USB external hard disk"! Don't blame me because you failed to
read his question or respond appropriately...

To add a final point, none of the really complex stuff regarding HFS+
R/W is even necessary in Eion's stated case, I only provided that
information for completeness (because he explicitly asked). In the event
her Macbook is lost/stolen he's enabling a method for her to cover her
ass and still be able to work and meet course deadlines whilst the
insurance/replacement/restore are taking place, even if that is only a
24 hour turn around. Instead of sitting on her thumbs, she'd fire up the
Core2 with Linux, use R/O only access to *copy* the bits she needs
immediately to the Linux box and still be able to work on it whilst the
replacement is sorted. Coursework deadlines wait for no man and medical
students are seriously overworked. So do I think a young person at uni
really wants a free and effective failsafe system and method to keep
working if her Mac is lost in action? Why, yes, yes I do.

 > This is a personal laptop for a student. The medical aspect of it is
pretty much irelevant here.

Here is where you're really out of your depth, and it shows. Let me tell
you how it works for medical students - they are not issued computers
from the hospital or university in the same way as we might expect our
employers to issue us corporate gear. They provide their own computers
(and for some reason medical students almost universally prefer Macs, I
have no idea why) which will become subject to DPA standards the moment
they have medical data on them. Which will be on about day 2 of their
first term. They will install IBM XPSS (usually on a subsidized volume
agreement through the institution) or similar to crunch statistics on
medical cohorts, install special programs to deal with the custom
formats spat out by MRIs and other medical imaging tools and will have
spreadsheets full of medical data for their studies. Along with papers,
patient notes and other material without which they CAN NOT DO THEIR
STUDIES. Even the partially anonymized datasets favoured for teaching
purposes fall under the DPA and on literally day 1, all students will
have the confidentiality of medical data, the rules of Data Protection,
and the importance of compliance and ensuring data protection drilled
into them mercilessly. So your contention that the "...medical aspect of
it is pretty much irelevant here" couldn't be more divorced from
reality. Now, I'm not calling you out on this because you'd have no way
of knowing this without having worked within medical IT and specifically
with trainee medical students: however, one of has done this and speaks
of which they know. The other is an artisan baker! (Incidentally, I
*love* baking and *love* artisan breads particularly - I wouldn't try
and tell you the first thing about it though because I've never had any
proper experience with it. Do you see where I'm going with this?)

Right, that about covers it I think - I sincerely hope I've made my
point and fully rebutted yours politely and without snark. For the
record I'll state again I have nothing but respect for you (love your
RPi work, lightyears ahead of anything I could do) and was only trying
to answer - probably with way too many words, as per usual - the exact
question Eion asked. I feel that your initial reply was unhelpful and
completely irrelevant and your reply to me just doubled down on the
signal to noise ratio. You and everyone else are of course free to
disagree and I promise to respond (politely!) to any other replies that
may come up, even if they're critical of me.

Cheers

An amateur baker

* Now I'll just cross my fingers and hope Joseph doesn't take offence
and decide to have a go - I was actually a little bit rude about his
answer after all. Only trying to help guys, only trying to help.