Re: [LUG] Plymouth Uni

On Fri, 2016-07-22 at 12:03 +0100, Andy Wills wrote:

> So, one of the main things our students and staff see from
> day to day is open source.

That has been true for many years (before DLE). As one example, email
comes in to Linux servers, and has done for around 16 years now, but
the staff/students don't realise it. All they see is their Microsoft
Exchange mailbox, and use Outlook to access it. This is why I say that
Linux is used at the Uni, and has been for years, but it's not 'seen'
to be used.

> I think what Rod, myself, and some others would like to see is more
> acceptance of Linux as a platform for staff and student
> users.

In terms of the Uni providing Linux generally, support will be the main
problem. At the moment Linux support is on a best-effort basis, and
basically that means that the calls come to me. That is not so bad
since it is invariably a server problem. Trying to support desktops
though would require much more manpower, and I really don't see that
happening. A bit of a paradigm shift on two fronts!

As for faculty/departments running their own labs of Linux desktops,
then that is up to them. As far as I am aware the School of Computing
still do that. (I may be wrong though as I have virtually nothing to do
with them nowadays.)

John.

John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK
________________________________
[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>

This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of
the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then
copying, distribution or other use of the information contained is strictly
prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this email in error
please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet
emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care, Plymouth University
accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails
and their attachments. Plymouth University does not accept responsibility for any
changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes
an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form.