Re: [LUG] Plymouth Uni

Apologies for the delay in replying; lots going on and only just
starting to catch up with mail.

On Mon, 2016-06-20 at 14:17 +0100, Rod Sheaff wrote:
> Do any of you work at Plymouth Uni, or have recently?

Yes, I work there. I am the Linux sysadmin for the Uni central servers.
(We also had some UNIX servers up until a few years ago, but they got
replaced with Linux.)

> After years of agitating along the 'Why don't you use open source?'
> line I have been invited to discuss this with one of the IT honchos
> so would like to brief myself as well as I can first.

The Uni does use open source, in fact their website runs on Debian
servers (in total 6 of them, and another 4 for development). The
inbound email goes through CentOS servers (until a short while ago the
outbound did as well). In addition there are about 20 or so other
servers doing various tasks. All are running CentOS, bar one
development server running RHEL and two others which run Ubuntu. We
have run Linux since the 90's (I know because I introduced it into the
central services)!

However, this is all from the non-academic/non-teaching side. I
couldn't say anything about 'teaching' Linux.

I would be interested who the 'IT honcho' is, but I suspect you're not
going to say :-)

John.

John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK
________________________________
[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>

This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of
the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then
copying, distribution or other use of the information contained is strictly
prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this email in error
please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet
emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care, Plymouth University
accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails
and their attachments. Plymouth University does not accept responsibility for any
changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes
an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form.