Re: [LUG] gentoo resurrection

On 19/07/16 20:48, mr meowski wrote:
> Any Gentoo wizards here?
>
> I have a very outdated and tatty instance that I'd like to bring back to
> life but it's been effectively abandoned for months and months after
> portage choked on the systemd upgrade debacle and it's now hopelessly
> out of date and effectively un-upgradable. I've spent a fair while
> fiddling with it and reading forums but no amount of trickery or package
> masking (or just plain brute force) seems to be able to untangle the mess.
>
> Anyone know of a way to effectively 'reset' a mangled gentoo install?
> Perhaps some kind of chrooting, or reinstalling a current stage3 over
> the top of the existing borked system followed by emerging world?
>
> The instance isn't critical and all important data/accounts have been
> extracted but for $REASONS I don't really want to just wipe and
> reinstall (and if I did, it wouldn't be with Gentoo this time around).
> I'd like to take one last proper bash at getting it back up and running
> before I give up and abandon it. Pathetic fallacy or not, I actually
> feel sorry for it if you know what I mean.
>
> Any advice gratefully received.
>
> Cheers
How old is old? I'm running a moderately vintage gentoo install here
now, but I've found all too often that if you get major
package/dependency breakage, you are better off starting back from a
stage3 and either copying your make.conf and/or world files over, and
starting afresh. Gentoo really is a rolling distro, and not to keep
up-to-date does cause its problems.

Whilst not a 'guru' or expert at all, I do circulate with the gentoo
devs (a strange bunch, I'll admit) .. but I think they too, whilst
arguing that it -should- be possible, might also agree that starting
afresh would be a better option.

However, I'm game for a shot .. what is portage complaining about, and
are you a systemd fan or ardently against? (marmite issue, I know!).
pastebin/bpaste works :)

Regards,
Michael.