Re: [LUG] OT: CCT board etching.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016, Tom wrote:

I was really considering this for a teaching exercise - with all this RaspberryPi and micro:bit etc going on as an ex microchip designer I'd like to help teach IT and electronics. It looks like there is a bootstrapping possibility here - OK solder doesn't smell right anymore but you can probably go from RaspberryPi and a small bath of etchant to a full blown PCB production on a bootstrapped cnc plotter/cutter.

You can still buy an use leaded solder. It's the flux that's the real nasty if using it on a daily basis. You just can't use leaded solder in commercial projects and I guess the safety elfs have banned it with children too, when there's really no need. (lead vapour temp. is way below a normal soldering iron)

The learning process would result in seriously useful tangible things! Ragworm are Â40 (+pp) for a one off that should be around Â3 or Â4 if you have a school/club with a reasonable stock order of PCB blanks,

Who needs PBCs...

http://make.kosakalab.com/arduino/obaka/project-7/index_en.html

Gordon