[LUG] gentoo resurrection

Any Gentoo wizards here?

I have a very outdated and tatty instance that I'd like to bring back to
life but it's been effectively abandoned for months and months after
portage choked on the systemd upgrade debacle and it's now hopelessly
out of date and effectively un-upgradable. I've spent a fair while
fiddling with it and reading forums but no amount of trickery or package
masking (or just plain brute force) seems to be able to untangle the mess.

Anyone know of a way to effectively 'reset' a mangled gentoo install?
Perhaps some kind of chrooting, or reinstalling a current stage3 over
the top of the existing borked system followed by emerging world?

The instance isn't critical and all important data/accounts have been
extracted but for $REASONS I don't really want to just wipe and
reinstall (and if I did, it wouldn't be with Gentoo this time around).
I'd like to take one last proper bash at getting it back up and running
before I give up and abandon it. Pathetic fallacy or not, I actually
feel sorry for it if you know what I mean.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers