[LUG] dissappearing pointers

I've got an Xubuntu 16.04 laptop, While using FF sometimes the mouse fails to function properly and sometimes the pointer dissapears. CTL -ALT-F1 CTL-ALT-F7 followed by ESC mostly cures the problem but not always and I have to log out and back in again.
the only thing in the log files that may be a clue is:
kernel: [ 862.124613] psmouse serio2: TouchPad at isa0060/serio2/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 4 bytes away.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Tom te tom te tom