Re: [LUG] remote sensing

On 13/06/16 12:48, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2016, M. J. Everitt wrote:

On 13/06/16 11:36, Tom wrote:
I need to see over further than a pir can reasonably work alas. Its
not just 'waterproofing' - condensation will be a problem round here!
I'm hoping supply of the new zero will level out soon so I can get one
and a camera and see what sort of load it takes.
You can get a solar usb charger 20w for around Â40 and I would imagine
that, and battery pack and controller to switch the power on and off
sensibly would be a start!
Tom te tom te tom

I'd be tempted to go straight for the Pi3 with wifi

The on-board wi-fi is good, but not that good - he needs 100m - that would need an external antennae soldering on, and the Pi3 is quite power hungry already. A Zero is a much better option for a power + battery point of view.

.. then you can
connect direct to it from the house. Range should be adequate. If you
really feel brave, you can run either motion/zoneminder/opencv on it for
motion-detect and/or capture if you like. I'm sure I've seen some demos
of exactly this setup, but google will be as good as source as any for this.

More cpu/gpu == more power == bigger batteries. It's all a trade-off here. (The Pi Camera uses GPU to do the imaging and conversion from raw to whatever stream du jour is)

TomB has done a lot with openCv on a Pi - he might have some input here...

Gordon

I think the Camera can run at 2fps so that should reduce power a bit! I think a 'diff' and some phase stretch transform and a sledgehammer should pick up most birds and rabbits!
I'm trying to find an old link I had for helical aerials as connected to a normal wifi they're pretty good over the Km range. It did occur to me if I can get this working down the field it might be worth thinking about wireless ptp units (100w panel should keep one of these going most of the year.) as we'll probably never get fibre down here ....
On the Pi3Â - I'd guess the range in my house is around a room - 15'. A 'normal' USB wifi adapter manages 2 1/2 rooms here but the Pi has to be pretty close pretty much in the same room TBH.
Tom te tom te tom