Re: [LUG] remote sensing

On 13/06/16 11:36, Tom wrote:
> I need to see over further than a pir can reasonably work alas. Its
> not just 'waterproofing' - condensation will be a problem round here!
> I'm hoping supply of the new zero will level out soon so I can get one
> and a camera and see what sort of load it takes.
> You can get a solar usb charger 20w for around Â40 and I would imagine
> that, and battery pack and controller to switch the power on and off
> sensibly would be a start!
> Tom te tom te tom

I'd be tempted to go straight for the Pi3 with wifi .. then you can
connect direct to it from the house. Range should be adequate. If you
really feel brave, you can run either motion/zoneminder/opencv on it for
motion-detect and/or capture if you like. I'm sure I've seen some demos
of exactly this setup, but google will be as good as source as any for this.

Enclosure will be key - so whether you manage to seal the camera
successfully or not (can tuck some silica gel inside if you have any).
Maybe some of the online tutorials will suggest some ideas for that.

Just my 3c ...