Re: [LUG] RPi3 thoughts

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016, M. J. Everitt wrote:

On 08/06/16 09:56, Tom wrote:
On 08/06/16 02:17, mr meowski wrote:
Like: lots, especially onboard wifi/bluetooth and a general speed boost
Dislike: the damn SD card slot isn't "spring loaded" anymore, which is a
massive pain in the arse on some (most?) cases. I have to use needle
nose pliers to extract them from my Pibow case now. Why oh why?!

Cheers
The card thing doesn't seem to be a problem for me - I'd complain to
PiBow!
The wireless, however, is a bit short range.  Not sure if anyones
worked out how to add an aerial.
Tom te tom te tom

iirc there's a U.FL socket on the board isn't there?! so the usual
U.FL->RP-SMA pigtail should work .. or am I thinking of something else

There is no socket on-board, however there are solder pads on the underside of the board that let you solder on a U.FL connector. You also need to move a zero-ohm link.

You can also simply remove the on-board chip antennae and solder on a bit of co-ax -> SMA pigtail...

Gordon