Re: [LUG] RPi/OpenElec

On 07/06/16 08:42, Mike Grant wrote:
> On 03/06/16 17:53, mr meowski wrote:
>> The one thing that I don't really get at all though is streaming *to*
>> the RPi as a target though, presumably via DNLA/UPnP (I think?). At the
>
> I use a Pi+OpenElec in this fashion, mainly as a youtube target, but
> there are plugins for other streaming services too.  The basic idea is
> you send it a stream URL and it plays that (if it can).  The discovery
> of Pi on the local network and how to talk to it all happen over UPnP
> (/DLNA).
>
> I'm not sure on the subtitles side ; for example, I don't think there's
> support for overlays in the youtube streamer.  You might need to
> investigate this further.
>
> Anyway, here's some of what I currently use.
>
> Clients (controller/sender)
>  iPad: constellation
>
>  Android:
>    - Yatse (remote + "play on media centre" provider, when you click
> share in an app like Youtube)
>    - BubbleUPnP: controller/player + can offer phone content as a media
> server.  Bit clunky.
>
>  - Linux: various, plus scripting possibilities!
>
>  - Windows: don't really care, but I think media player can talk to UPnP
> targets
>

> Media library / server:
>  iPad: ??
>
>  Android: BubbleUPnP
>
>  Linux: I use mediatomb, but am interested in trying miniDLNA/ReadyMedia
> as a RPi car media gateway.  pulseaudio-dlna is also quite neat if
> you're sending audio.
>
>  Windows: media player can act as a library/server, if you click in the
> right places.  I'm sure you can do this better than me!
>

> Hope that helps get you started.  I'd be interested to hear what you end
> up with!

Thanks for that, saved me from replying to myself.

I've got to pretty much the same place actually after abandoning various
browser plugins and variations of localcast.apk - most of which worked,
but for only limited cases like Youtube only, or via Chrome only, or
something. Not good enough.

I did accidentally stumble across the solution at a client's house in
the end. It's, umm, there's no easy way to say this, but it's Windows 10.

Credit where it's due, Microsoft have kicked the crap out of this and
DNLA/Miracast must have received a few thousand man hours at Redmond
because it Just Works (TM) and was exactly what I needed. Once you've
added your networked renderers (I've got RPis and FireTVs running Kodi,
Playstations and a cheap Chinese Android thingy off Ebay) through the
Add Device mechanism, Win10 lets you right click ANY file and choose
"cast to device", pick your backend and that's it. They finally added
mkv container support and H264/H265 as well. You can also cast
*anything* from the browser or just throw your entire desktop at one or
multiple backends. One of my anaemic old test netbooks running Insider
Preview even managed to stream one of my 4K HEVC test encodes off the
Linux server via CIFS and then DNLA cast it to a 1080 TV downstairs, all
over wifi. It's like witchcraft.

DNLA/UPnP sucks on Linux currently unfortunately. You can serve the
content up perfectly of course, but still end up having to interact with
the Kodi via remote to *pull* the content specifically and at that point
you might as well just fall back to serving up via NFS/CIFS anyway,
which are all supported anyway by pretty much any client. So far only
Win10 (and specifically 10, not 7 or 8.1) seems to have "got it" and
let's you seamlessly and effortlessly *push*, i.e., "cast" arbitrary
content with a single click. I'm not going to beat around the bush here,
it's damn brilliant. I'm upgrading all interested clients and all my
personal kit now whilst the upgrade window is still (just) open.

This is the first thing I can think of for a long, long, long time which
Windows has unequivocally nailed and it's a biggie. Linux (and OSX for
that matter) just can not do this with any amount of fiddling. Yeah, I'm
still recovering from the shock myself...

Cheers

* this is seriously [OT] but I know at least some of you also have to
deal with Windows as well - I have a perfected recipe to "fix" Win10 to
get rid of all the horrid crap that people rightfully worry about
(telemetry, forced reboots, etc) which I'm happy to share. Not posting
it here unless I'm specifically asked though, my asbestos suit is
currently at the cleaners.