[LUG] RPi/OpenElec

Ok, I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction with this -
I've been setting up RPis with Open/LibreELEC as media centres recently
and have a pretty good grasp of it now. I've slowly put together a base
image with lots of bells and whistles that can pipe content from pretty
much anything via NFS/CIFs/FTP, generate nice libraries of films and
music with scrapers, lots of plugins for auto-download of subtitles and
iPlayer/ITV hub/C5, Android/IOS based remote controls, etc.

The one thing that I don't really get at all though is streaming *to*
the RPi as a target though, presumably via DNLA/UPnP (I think?). At the
moment they work brilliantly controlling them directly and pulling
content from sources, but I want to *push* content to a passively
listening RPi instead if you see what I mean - conceptually, I guess I
want to be able to make them act like a Chromecast on demand.

Not only do I not really know anything about this but this is being put
together for a relatively elderly and disabled (registered deaf, hence
the automatic subtitle downloading requirement) individual so the result
hopefully has to be pretty easy to use. Ideally - she's pretty competent
with her trusty windows 7 laptop - she'd be able to sit down in her
comfy chair of an evening with her laptop and be able to start up
something in iPlayer in a browser or a DVD in VLC, and then just hit a
"send to the RPi" button and the rest would stream over wifi directly to
the listening media centre tucked behind the TV.

Any ideas? I've briefly looked at Mediatomb and Plex (which has become
nagware apparently) but was hoping for a pointer before I just wade in
and research all of this from scratch.

Cheers