Re: [LUG] Experience the PiZero for Â15

On 26/05/16 12:54, Tom wrote:
> On 26/05/16 12:41, M. J. Everitt wrote:
>> On 26/05/16 12:29, lug@xxxxxx wrote:
>>>>
>>> I think the RPF have made a mistake with pricing the Zero so cheaply.
>>> If you are short of supply pricing something very low just means you
>>> are giving away money to traders and speculators who buy the limited
>>> stock at Â5 and then sell it on ebay for Â15 or more with a few extras.
>>>
>>> They could have priced it at Â10-Â12 and still sold all the production
>>> they have made so far as it still would have been cheap compared to the
>>> regular Pi's. Just doesn't make sense to me.
>>>
>>> I think it might be quite a while before we see these regularly
>>> in-stock anywhere at Â5.
>>>
>>> Kevin
>>>
>> I've always believed that the killing for all the distributors is in the
>> kits and accessory packs, which conveniently double+triple or worse the
>> bare board price. Most of the 'bits' only cost a few quid, but despite
>> the target of a low price 'computer' that the Pi Foundation were
>> originally targeting, this quickly inflates.
>> As a result I think it makes somewhat of a mockery of the foundation's
>> aims, and along with the technical limitations, is why I have a lack of
>> enthusiasm for the Pi as a platform, despite having due respect for the
>> core aims and achievements that have been accomplished.
>>
>> I shall be interested to see how the Microbit platform evolves, and how
>> successful the BBC are, at attempting to replicate their previous
>> success with the BBC Micro platform. When I was a child, it inspired me
>> to get to grips with programming in BBC BASIC, with the aid of 'Micro
>> User' magazine articles and programs. Nobody of the modern era will have
>> a clue what it felt like to write and save a multi-thousand line
>> program, then check for syntax errors before running it. "Kids these
>> days" .... :)
>>

> The Zero production is about to go up considerably I believe.
> As for the rip off add-ons I tend to agree but the best thing to do is
> to get kids to run Geda and NGspice and get them to use simulators!
> Has anyone seen a micro:bit in the wild yet? If it is successful the
> Whittingdale will try and kill it no doubt! If not it would make a
> great add on to a zero!
> Tom te tom te tom

I say pick up an Adafruit Feather (or three!) .. that 'ladyada' is a
smart cookie, and there's a hell of a lot she's doing developing useful
addon boards/etc. Pity they're a US based company, as they're really
hitting upon a good market I think. And they're small like the Pi-Zero,
but *so* many options (Wings, they call their daughter boards).

MJE