Re: [LUG] Experience the PiZero for Â15

On 26/05/16 12:29, lug@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2016 11:20:14 +0100, Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> You need an ssd and a micro-usb to usb lead. Â15 is worst case -
>> unless you want kimber cable USB!
>>
> I think the RPF have made a mistake with pricing the Zero so cheaply.
> If you are short of supply pricing something very low just means you
> are giving away money to traders and speculators who buy the limited
> stock at Â5 and then sell it on ebay for Â15 or more with a few extras.
>
> They could have priced it at Â10-Â12 and still sold all the production
> they have made so far as it still would have been cheap compared to the
> regular Pi's. Just doesn't make sense to me.
>
> I think it might be quite a while before we see these regularly
> in-stock anywhere at Â5.
>
> Kevin

I've always believed that the killing for all the distributors is in the
kits and accessory packs, which conveniently double+triple or worse the
bare board price. Most of the 'bits' only cost a few quid, but despite
the target of a low price 'computer' that the Pi Foundation were
originally targeting, this quickly inflates.
As a result I think it makes somewhat of a mockery of the foundation's
aims, and along with the technical limitations, is why I have a lack of
enthusiasm for the Pi as a platform, despite having due respect for the
core aims and achievements that have been accomplished.

I shall be interested to see how the Microbit platform evolves, and how
successful the BBC are, at attempting to replicate their previous
success with the BBC Micro platform. When I was a child, it inspired me
to get to grips with programming in BBC BASIC, with the aid of 'Micro
User' magazine articles and programs. Nobody of the modern era will have
a clue what it felt like to write and save a multi-thousand line
program, then check for syntax errors before running it. "Kids these
days" .... :)