Re: [LUG] HDMI monitors with 'decent' speakers

On 18/05/16 17:06, M. J. Everitt wrote:
On 18/05/16 08:28, Tom wrote:
On 17/05/16 21:36, mr meowski wrote:
On 17/05/16 20:59, M. J. Everitt wrote:
On 17/05/16 20:49, Tom wrote:
Looking for a cheapish >24" HDMI monitor with decent speakers (or
audio output for headphones) but cant seem to find anything where
audio is a consideration!
Or a telly?
Tom te tom te tom

I've got a couple of LG monitors at work with 'audio' but after some
confusion, didn't realise that the 'audio' didn't mean speakers, it
means if HDMI is connected, the 3.5mm jack on the back can be used for
headphones (from the HDMI, duh!). It does work, too!! Think they're 24"
LG monitors .. VGA/DVI/HDMI variant eg.
http://www.ebuyer.com/704662-lg-24m47vq-24-led-monitor-24m47vq.

I don't think such a thing as a monitor with good audio even exists - a
cheap soundbar or 2.1 speaker set ,or even a Â5 pair of headphones, will
always sound much better than the anaemic speakers in a monitor or
laptop.

As long as you have HDMI out from the PC you can always put a cheap but
useful HDMI switch between the PC (and other sources) and the monitor.
I've got one like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portta-Switcher-Toslink-Digital-Splitter/dp/B00DZIXIMQ

It only cost about Â20 and has a single 3.5 audio jack instead of the
TOSLINK to output sound to one of my receiver inputs - I've got 2 PCs, a
RPi and a PS3 all hanging off mine with no problem, all video goes to
the same 24" HDMI monitor and all sound is routed out to my main
speakers.

Not quite what you asked for but very useful and also happens to solve
your problem in case you end up with a monitor without HDMI passthru or
a sound output jack.

Cheers

Ta for the info - I'm really looking for the cheapest way to set up a
Pi for 'PC' use with decent sound - HDMI->headphones (or telly) seems
the best option. No-one seems to give proper audio info these days and
round here its just not possible to road test monitors...
Tom te tom te tom

You may be interested in this, Tom, which I stumbled across linked from
somewhere .. its a 'hat' that has an i2s high quality sound codec on it,
for hi-fi or similar audiophile use ..
http://www.iqaudio.co.uk/home/8-pi-dac-0712411999650.html . It's
out-of-stock currently, but I was considering getting one to adorn a
spare pi lying around, and see how it goes!

MJE

Cheers - I currently use a sub Â5 guitar link adaptor I got on ebay or somewhere - 16 bit 48000 stereo in and ditto out to headphone (or hifi and quad electrostatics). Its more than adequate but its not the easiest thing to keep all the apps talking too - I'm hoping HDMI out of the box is a bit more reliable!
Tom te tom te tom