[LUG] Embedded hobby boards

Just to pick up on a few threads, as I know how popular the R-Pi is, I
thought I'd highlight a few ARM boards I have enjoyed working with, at
or slightly above the price-point of the R-pi, but often sourced from
much further afield.

Firstly, I was looking for an embedded board for a work project, and
came across the Wandboard (http://www.wandboard.org/) - this comes in
single, dual and quad-core variants, the dual+quad with wifi and
bluetooth, and quad with Sata on-board. All have a low-power sound codec
too, and in/out/mic jacks. It's a bit more expensive, and harder to get
hold of, but quite a versatile board to play with.

Secondly, I came across the Banana pi (http://www.banana-pi.org/) which
I liked because it would interface directly to Pi peripherals, but being
an Allwinner A20 cpu, it had many of the features I liked (physical
ethernet port!) and SATA which the R-Pi couldn't support.

I got a bit carried away then, and came across the Orange-Pi, and having
decided I liked the "Pi" theme I had stumbled upon, bought an Orange-Pi
plus, also with the wifi, gigabit ethernet, 4x usb and SATA again. This
has a quad-core CPU and runs well completely standalone. It was slightly
harder to get this running with debian, but a forum poster came to the
rescue, and I soon had the on-board eMMC programmed up with an XFCE
desktop :).

If you want to do electronic interfacing, there is always the Beaglebone
Black, which having solved its manufacturing delays by allowing
element14 to build a bulk volume of approved clones, has a load of IO
pins and UARTs and buses available via its expansion headers.

If anyone would like to see these boards, I will hopefully be visiting
the DC lug meetings soon - my free-time commitments have been a bit
manic lately, but I have been wanting to meet the group for a while now.