Re: [LUG] Boot Messages

On Wed, 11 May 2016, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

That is the problem, the message does not come up every time I log in, just sometimes, and it stays on screen for a very short time. That message must be stored in the computer somewhere.

Why do you think it must be stored?

It's not - not if it's what I think it is which is a BIOS generated one. It's generated by the motherboards on-board firmware for your information

You may also be confusing "logon" with power-on. Some monitors take longer than the PC takes to boot-up too, so sometimes early messages that may appear on-screen are lost.

Really - you're better off ignoring them - They're just the usual "Press F2/F12/DEL for BIOS" type messages. You know (because that's the way its been for the past 20 years) that if you ever need to get into the BIOS to start pushing F2/F12/DEL (whatever is the right one for you) just after power on and keep on pushing it until you get the BIOS screen.

To get the Linux kernel startup messages, type

  dmesg

in a shell window, or on some Linux systems:

  less /var/log/dmesg

Gordon