Re: [LUG] New Monitor

On 27 Mar 2016 12:44, <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Until last year I have always used a desk top computer at home. About a
> year ago I was having some problems with the HD and then, suddenly one
> day, the monitor died. I had a laptop as back-up so I have since then been
> using that as my only computer. I have it set up as much like a
> desk top as I can. It stays on my desk and has various items attached
> permanently (power, ethernet, printer, mouse, external keyboard,
> external speakers).
>
> I no longer have a second computer as back up so I have decided to go
> for a new desk top which will become my main computer. Yes I know that
> is considered old fashioned now but I don't care.
>
> I plan to use the same small company in Hampshire [1] from whom I
> bought my last desk top computer. They will set up the tower to my
> specs and I will provide the keyboard and monitor. Well the keyboard is
> no problem, I am buying one from another company in the S West [2] but
> the monitor is something else.
>
> I am used to monitors which have just two cables attached, one for
> power and the other to plug in to the relevant port on the tower. When
> I started searching for a modern monitor I couldn't believe how things
> have changed. For example, one monitor I am considering has the
> following connections.
>
> 2 x HDMI, display port, mini display port, audio output, USB upstream,
> 4x USB 3.0. (Four USB ports???? What the heck) And when I try to find
> out how to set up some of these monitors I am left feeling completely
> confused.
>
> So if anyone on the list can point me in the right direction I would be
> very grateful. Do modern monitors require more than just power and USB
> connections?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil
>
> [1] www.elpatech co uk. They are in Andover.
>
> [2] www.keyboardco.com. They are in Stroud, Glos.

Hi Neil,

Monitors can be used in much the same way as they always have - power cable and cable to connect to the computer. The difference is there are many more ways to connect to a computer than there used to be.

Find out from Elpatech what kind of connections your new tower will have and go from there. My guess is that it'll have at least one of these: VGA, DVI or HDMI. Displayport seems to be slowly getting more popular, with the emphasis on slowly.

Plugging it all together is as straightforward as it ever was, unless you're trying to convert from one connector type to another. If the computer will have HDMI then just plug the monitor in to it using an HDMI cable.

Monitors have come with USB hubs built in for many years now. It is not something you get on all monitors by any means, and it can be very handy.

Grant