[LUG] New Monitor

Until last year I have always used a desk top computer at home. About a
year ago I was having some problems with the HD and then, suddenly one
day, the monitor died. I had a laptop as back-up so I have since then been
using that as my only computer. I have it set up as much like a
desk top as I can. It stays on my desk and has various items attached
permanently (power, ethernet, printer, mouse, external keyboard,
external speakers).

I no longer have a second computer as back up so I have decided to go
for a new desk top which will become my main computer. Yes I know that
is considered old fashioned now but I don't care.

I plan to use the same small company in Hampshire [1] from whom I
bought my last desk top computer. They will set up the tower to my
specs and I will provide the keyboard and monitor. Well the keyboard is
no problem, I am buying one from another company in the S West [2] but
the monitor is something else.

I am used to monitors which have just two cables attached, one for
power and the other to plug in to the relevant port on the tower. When
I started searching for a modern monitor I couldn't believe how things
have changed. For example, one monitor I am considering has the
following connections.

2 x HDMI, display port, mini display port, audio output, USB upstream,
4x USB 3.0.  (Four USB ports???? What the heck)  And when I try to find
out how to set up some of these monitors I am left feeling completely
confused.

So if anyone on the list can point me in the right direction I would be
very grateful. Do modern monitors require more than just power and USB
connections?

Thanks,

Neil

[1] www.elpatech co uk. They are in Andover.