Re: [LUG] Open Document Format

Wikipedia is of course editable.

On Saturday, 19 March 2016, Philip Whateley <philip.whateley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The link is here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/schools-financial-value-standard-and-assurance-sfvs
if you want to take a look.

The advice on open document format part just points to the Wikipedia
article on odf - I think that the government is wary of advocating a
specific application directly, but the Wikipedia article lists a huge
(and confusing) number of options.

So the problem is that Wikipedia tries to be encyclopedic and the
government appears to want to be impartial, but that could leave users
with no clear idea of what is best. Potentially that could lead to cries
of "where's the MS version."

Perhaps a letter from DCLUG/DCGLUG to Devon and Cornwall local
authorities (and unitary authorities such as Torbay) offering impartial
advice on the most complete and functional office suites supporting the
government standard document format odf, which they could then flow down
to schools. Not sure how to reach the academies though.

Phil

Adrian Midgley  http://defoam.net/ Âhttp://photo.defoam.net/