Re: [LUG] SSD's and a second hard drive

You can do automated tests using SMART:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/S.M.A.R.T.

And use other tools such as badblocks:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/badblocks

Although badblocks may not report anything because of how modern hard drives work, if you check the SMART output after running badblocks you can check for bad sectors and such which should give you a good indication of any problems.

Be sure to backup before doing a destructive read and write test! (Optional but worth it to rule out any problems.)

It might also be worth replacing all cables (SATA and using a different power connector) to rule out any problems and also try a different SATA port on the motherboard (or try each).

If you still don't have a stable system and the above doesn't indicate something is wrong it could be related to controllers on the motherboard or other issues (CPU, memory) and so you'll need to start performing further reaching tests. Memtest, LINPACK, Prime95 and others are pretty good.

A good distro / live CD for stress testing is:

http://www.stresslinux.org/sl/

Without access to a system it is difficult to give more specific advice due to the sheer number of possible things that could potentially cause a crash.

Good luck!

~Ben