Re: [LUG] Get then while they're hot: Pi v3 released

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Tom wrote:

On 29/02/16 14:42, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Tom wrote:

On 29/02/16 14:02, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Tom wrote:

Got one on order - is it still 11bit sound?

Yes. No change there.

You can of-course use HDMI for full sound though. There is at least one
HDMI to VGA adapter now that brings out the sound on a 3.5mm jack.

I tried the HDMI and it sounded awful.

It will sound as good as the source sounds.

Gordon

It was good quality source - I've investigated and it turns out the HDMI monitor I was testing on has a blown speaker. I never use the sound on it normally as the machine it is connected isn't HDMI and has a good sound system so it turns out I've been living under the illusion the sound on the Pi is rubbish! Would be nice to have more than 11 bit - this new one should make a great synth/guitar effects jobie!

HDMI output is the same quality as the input. If you synthesize 16-bit then that's what will come out of the HDMI.

The on-board 3.5mm jack - yes, that is apparently somewhat sub-optimal, but hey... (I've only used it to play Doom. Once. 3.99 years ago.

There are many plug-in board for other hi-fi type audio outputs though.

My RTB (basic interpreter) supports most of the old BBC Micro sound & envelope commands - in 8-bit audio. (it does live synthesis) but there's also Piana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=41&v=r0-Geuysv2M

more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKQFsiDUH4A

Gordon