Re: [LUG] Server adventure

On Thursday 14 Jan 2016 17:19:03 mr meowski wrote:

> The swap rule died years ago - swap is used to dump crashed kernels
> nowadays, nothing else. Turn off swap.

Ironically if you have a laptop that hibernates to swap, and you want kernel
core dumps when hibernate fails, then the "swap rule" may be about right.

On the other hand you'd be mad to run like that in the normal course of
events, and I vaguely recall there is almost no penalty for filesystem swap any
more.

My first real Unix box used real memory, none of this messing about with
virtual memory, it was faster that way.