Re: [LUG] Parrallella available in UK

On 15/01/16 11:39, Ben Whorwood wrote:
> Sounds really interesting.
>
> How did it work out performance wise? Did it exceed your
> expectations? What kind of hardware were you running?

We were using Raspberry Pi's

The DCGLUG blog has several posts

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/?s=cluster

with the results, from pre meeting notes up to post meeting results
and of course photos etc from the actual build

I think you would need to dedicate a whole day or a good few hours and
do some pre meeting preparation,

For this Malcolm prepared some sd card images so everyone was pretty
much set up on the evening.

The point about what data to collect and what to do with it is
important,if we are going to do this, then perhaps we need to do the
SAME thing at 3 venues so we can compare results

for example raspberry Pi geek (magazine) has an article on using a Pi
and DHT11 temp / humidity module to monitor a reptile / snake
enclosure (vivarium)  perhaps given that you can get

Arduino Uno (clone board)
Arduino data logging module

Plus what ever other bits are needed pretty cheap, then this could be
a way to collect data.    it is then a case of what to do with this,
if we can like you said process the data and then present it in some
way,  via IoT.

Maybe collect data on temperature in a room over the course of the
day.  or event.

Question is can we get a sponsor for Parallella board ?

Paul

Hope this helps

> I have often wondered about the potential of clusters vs modern
> processors (i7, etc) for certain applications. Based on your
> experience do you feel older hardware as a cluster could be a
> viable option for web hosting or similar? Thinking along the lines
> of reuse rather than recycle and giving the old stuff a worthwhile
> job.
>
> Could be additional applications for IoT with all the data being
> collected from various sensors and such. All rather useless unless
> the data can be processed and meaningful information produced.

> We did build a small cluster at a Exeter Lug meeting once, we
> calculated Pi.
>
> Malcolm from the Exeter lug (and possibly here) helped with this.
>
> North Devon Tech jam sounds good, The Cornwall jam is organised
> with software Cornwall,  Is there a similar group in Devon? who we
> can get on board with. ?
>

> Paul

> -- http://www.zleap.net t: @zleap14  diaspora :
> zleap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Documentation lead @ ToriOS