Re: [LUG] Identifying encrypted files.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 10:58:35AM +0000, Tom wrote:
> I figured that - yet people can go to jail for not handing over a
> key when there cannot be  proof a file is encrypted.

There's often circumstantial evidence that files are encrypted: evidence
left behind by an encryption program, an extention given to encrypted
files, a "enter your password to decrypt this device" when you boot etc.

Also, the point of making encrypted files look random is to make sure no
trace of either the original or the encryption key is left behind, not
to hide the fact the files are encrypted in the first place.

Martijn.