Re: [LUG] Identifying encrypted files.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 03:44:26PM +0100, Tom wrote:
> I think that's obfuscation rather than encryption: making them
> unintelligible.

No. Obfucation is a property of encryption, but obfuscation is used far
more widely. Think of obfuscating a piece of JavaScript code, by using
random function and variable names, adding complicated functions that do
nothing but concatenate two strings etc. It's pretty hard to decide what
the code actually does, but it's still JavaScript.

> I've often wondered how you could tell you've actually decrypted
> something or just randomly generated what appears to be a valid
> result.

You cannot. A typical encryption scheme takes an input of n bytes and,
using some kind of key, turns that in an output of n bytes. This means
any one of 256^n possible inputs can be turned into any of 256^n
possible outputs. If there were a way to distinguish these outputs from
random, some outputs wouldn't occur and thus some outputs would have to
occur twice, for different inputs. Which means you can't decrypt this
output.

If you could somehow deduce from the encrypted data that the
corresponding plaintext was, say, an HTML file or an MP3, this would
leak valuable information and make the encryption scheme useless.

Martijn.