Re: [LUG] DOS protection

Thanks Mark I'll read up on tarp it. Fail to ban is not installed as I was led to
believe config firewall and cp hulk do similar.

Thanks Martin that is the gist of cloud flare yes. Malware I hope not. Do you have
AV protection for this if so what do you use ?

The resources run high I use top to figure out which site is being aimed at the
username gives it away.

Matt

On 28 Sep 2015, at 22:08, Martijn Grooten <martijn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 07:24:42PM +0100, Matt Stevenson wrote:
> Services like Cloudflare are a bit our my price range.

CloudFlare has a free version. It's worth noting though that what they
protect is attacks against your domain - by changing your DNS so that
all traffic is routed through their servers - not against your IP
address. So if the attackers target the latter, it might not help much.

As Gordon pointed out, while a solution running on the server may
prevent server resources from being overused, it can't do anything about
packets being sent to the server.

Another question that needs to be asked: are you sure that this is an
attack and not a side-effect of something else, either a page that is
requested a lot (perhaps an image you host is embedded on a popular
website) or the fact that your site is being used in a malware attack.
Perhaps a vulnerability has led it to host some malware - or some script
being used to accommodate a malware attack.

Martijn.