Re: [LUG] DOS protection

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015, Matt Stevenson wrote:

Hey There

Hope you all had a good weekend.

Today seemed to get on my nerves the number of DOS attacks Iâm obviously
not setup for it.

I found this :

https://www.liquidcomm.net/how-to-manage-a-ddos-or-dos-attempt-directed-at-your-linux-server.html

Who has setup there own DOS protection and what do you use ?

What are you doing that (a) exposes your IP address and (b) pisses someone off enough to DDOS your home connection? (assuming it's your home connection being targeted)

The only time I've ever had anything close to that was sipvicious attacks.

However if its a hosted server then (b) applies.

You can firewall your server/home connection to drop packets, however without the cooperation of the ISP those packets have already come down the wire to your firewall, so if you get billed for them, then expect big bills as the firewalling is doing nothing.

Gordon