Re: [LUG] Windows 10 being downloaded "Just in case"

On 11/09/15 13:55, lug@xxxxxx wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:57:27 +0100, Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
There is also the matter of those little check boxes we usually see
'Do not share my information with third parties'.  My bet is that MS
intend to replace the revenue from not selling Windows individually
with selling databases of customer information.  Given the size of the
Windows userbase that could be extremely lucrative.

Google/Facebook/MS don't need to sell your information to anyone else
because they have the scale to exploit it themselves. For instance, if
MS knows from your web searches and email that you are looking for a new
car how much would a big car manufacturer pay them to have an ad on your
desktop?

Kevin

Fair point. I inadvisedly mentioned the make and model of my new car on Facebook and was plagued for months with adverts for it. Intensely annoying quite apart from the logic gap 'Why would I want a new one when I've just bought one?'

Julian