Re: [LUG] Windows 10 being downloaded "Just in case"

On 10 Sep 2015, at 22:27, Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You know, this makes me quite uncomfortable, and not just because it's causing problems with people who have capped data.

If you thinks thats offensive, wait till you ....

a) on home editions, you can only have 1 login
b) the default to add child account (or an adult account) is the mandatory creation of an email account at Microsoft.
c) if that account happens to be on a personal domain.... well that'll cost you at a  min 3.10 or with office 7.99 / month to set up office365 for work and an Azure Active Directory. (ok you can setup a 'microsoft account' in which case all you data belongs to the Us Gov. #fail)  or setup you own AD on win2012 R2.

d) for a family of 4 to have login to a single machine, it could cost about 40/month + 99 for every extra OS licence for the other PC's because you need to upgrade to pro to have anything sensible like multi user switching, remote desktop or something other than a brain dead email client (mail) - ooh and and #fail-again if you happen to have more than 5 people/devices.
e) you find out that the cheap pc from sainburys with 32GB is already full and all you did was setup a user and it automatically synced your and your families garbage over the wire.
f) that basically all the UI is DOA unless you tick the give all my movements, life-forces and live Audio video data to the NSA buttons.

Man I have to use this stuff, but quite frankly avoid win 10 if you can, until some some sues the ... out of them for abuse of monopoly, extortion and don't even get me started on store and xbox store.... My kids would have me bankrupt in about a week.

Long live linux .... but don't try to install it on a NSA approve device. it's painful and ultimately pointless if the distro isn't certified.

Basically secure computing as MS put it is a jail. A jail where doing what you want to do has a price in $. No wonder they are using the old strategy of flood the market with cheep free alternative, force agreements with strategic player and dominate the market place... then once we are all locked in.... you get it.