Re: [LUG] Windows 10 being downloaded "Just in case"

On 11 Sep 2015, at 10:27, lug@xxxxxx wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 08:27:08 +0000, Joseph Bennie <jay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> .. ps while trip to bsd land would be a joyride, Linux critical mass
>> make it the best bet. but If solaris was actually affordable as an
>> every day OS ... I've no issue with proprietary, I have an issue with
>> blackmail and extortion.
>>

> MS are doing this because it is what most people want. The average joe
> is quite happy to exchange their personal information for free stuff

The point is ... its not free, its really expensive.  (...death by 1000 small cuts
served so slowly do don't notice at first.)

> and if it works for Facebook and Google then why not MS. Ditto
> subscriptions. A lot of people pay £30 a month for a phone even though
> they could buy it outright and save cash in the longterm.
>
> What makes me sad is that after all these years the open source
> alternatives to desktop Windows are still mostly at about XP level. A
> lot of the apps still look like crap and often don't integrate very
> well if at all with the OS.

yep this is the truth,

I'm technically quite capable of using linux, but at every turn i'm thwarted because
at the professional end, design and development the tools are just not good enough
to be stable, productive and pixel perfect.

Its the crux of the problem. we need more:  quality, small iterative improvement and
implementation of the best innovations. we don't need new window managers every 12
months with quirky UI designs.