Re: [LUG] Windows 10 being downloaded "Just in case"

On 11/09/15 00:17, mr meowski wrote:
On 10/09/15 22:51, Jay Bennie wrote:
If you thinks thats offensive, wait till you ....

Interesting - I hadn't even looked it at from that perspective, only
from the "internal testing for company use" aspect. Is it true that you
only get one login on home edition??! That's... just insane.

I'm hating Linux quite a lot at the moment as well and despise Apple
with all my heart (ChromeOS: also LOL NO) so am looking to jump ship.
The death by one thousand cuts of flash at long last might finally make
OpenBSD a realistic option, or at least Free/Dragonfly. Just installed
OpenBSD on a spare laptop that I actually kind of need to use as a sort
of daily driver, so let's find out I guess.

Windows 10 did indeed break it for me - I was almost the Microsoft
apologist here on/off for a while but this latest crap? No, just no.

What makes me really cross is that I can defend myself, and, with a lot
of effort I don't really want to have to expend but don't have much of a
choice in anymore, most of my nearest and dearest as well. However, a
thought experiment: A young family, nobody particularly IT literate,
saves up and buys a new laptop for xmas. They don't know any better so
all share the same account (which is a Microsoft live login because
again, they didn't know any better) and don't change any privacy
settings or security options (because... well, you know: they're normal
people, how are they supposed to know this sort of stuff?).

Dad is doing the accounts and a little online betting, Mum is following
up her genealogy hobby and trying to track down her non-adoptive
parents, little Jimmy is undoubtedly looking at boobies when he gets a
chance and fragging his mates online and little Sophie is naively
connecting her first cell phone and letting her magic laptop sync all
her contacts, messages and phone cam pics to the cloud. In fact, all of
them are doing that and facebooking at the same time. And a lot of other
important, private, critical stuff because that single machine is their
lifeline to the internet. Like literally hundreds of millions of other
families they can only afford to have one cheap, simple windows equipped
laptop they bought in a sale at Currys or whatever.

Microsoft get ALL of their lives in perpetuity - they're (almost)
literally raping those people's privacy from day one and the poor souls
have no idea. They bought that computer in good faith, with their own
money and now MS are monetising those children's lives. In my entire
history of being a professional paranoid, internet ranter and tinfoil
hat wearer I have never before seen a company just so openly double down
on the corporate line and pop a proper, total, f*** you moment.

Normally I'd be exploding in psychopathic rage at this point but I think
it's a bit late. I just feel a bit sad :[

I think collectively we're in quite a lot of trouble now. Windows 10
wasn't a shot across the bows, it was a major, major escalation. The
internet's been created and ruined in my lifetime for god's sake.

*sigh*

The internet has not been ruined. Just most peoples interface to it.
Tom te tom te tom